Yes, this is a pillowcase dress, so it is easy to make. But no one will even know you made it from a pillowcase when you are done! This project only takes about an hour, but looks like it took you for-ev-ah. And I kinda think it looks like French children's clothing (White, subtle detailing, a little nautical...) maybe I am just dreaming:)
Pillowcase (I chose one with a pretty hem)
paper (if you want to make a template of the collar before cutting it out of fabric)
Ribbon, button, or some kind of closure if desired (I didn't make one)
2. Cut out a rectangle with a slit and a hole (this will be the collar) out of both layers of the top of the pillowcase. There is an opening, so the hole can be smaller than your kid's head... I made a template out of newsprint before I cut it out of the pillowcase. Should written down measurements for you all.
4. either pleat and pin, or throw caution to the wind like I did, and pleat as your sew, all the way around. This part needs to be able to slip over their head and body and fit around the chest.
6. Turn it right side out and top stitch two lines 1/8- 1/4 in. apart (if you want).
7. Pin the front part of the collar to your dress portion like above.
8. with the collar pinned to the dress, sew 3-4 more lines all around the collar (see below), each spaced abt. 1/8 in. apart.
10. As shown above, cut a slit
13. If you want, attach some sort of closure. I didn't. It doesn't need one! I went back and forth and back and forth about attaching linen tape (my mom's idea), ribbons made from the remnants of the pillowcase scraps, satin ribbon, velvet ribbon, blue fabric strips, a large button, a bow..... But in the end I decided I like it just as it was. Its not overdone.